Free accounting software from Microsoft
It’s called Microsoft Accounting Express 2007 and seems (at least judging by the price) to be a good alternative to QuickBooks (which is like $300). You can download it from IdeaWins (website Microsoft set up for this). Note that the download is about 208 MB, so it should take a while to complete.
Above it’s a screen, below are some of its features:
- Import data from other programs such as Intuit QuickBooks, Microsoft Money, and Microsoft Office Excel
- Create customized estimates, invoices, and purchase orders
- Track expenses automatically
- Automate bank accounts and customer payments
- Store and organize customer, contact, employee, vendor, and financial information in a single location
- Export reports to Excel 2007 for further analysis in just one click
- Share your books with your accountant and still continue using them for your day-to-day business
- Share data more securely with your accountant via Microsoft Office Live
- List items on eBay
- Track activity in real time and download and process orders
- Send invoices in an e-mail message that includes a direct link to PayPal
- Process credit card payments quickly
Ok, free from Microsoft? Where’s the catch I see you asking. Well this Express edition is free, but there’s a Professional edition too that sells for like $150. So they’re hoping to get some money from the upgrades. Plus, they’re promoting the Office 2007 applications with this. Anyway, bottom line is that small businesses will find this more than enough for their needs.